Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Let Me In


Now I'm not usually a fan of spooky films. This is a remake of the much acclaimed Swedish film, 'Let the Right One In'. As a movie lover, I sometimes feel it's my duty to get out of the rut and see a film that I don't really want to see. I'm glad I saw this one. It's a dark tale, as you would imagine. The story of a lonely and much bullied boy named Owen, played by Kodi Smit-McPhee. Owen has no friends, until a shoeless girl appears in the apartment block named Abby played by Chloe Moretz last seen using the 'c' word as Hit-Girl in Kick Ass. Owen and Abby strike up a sweet friendship even though Abby warns that they can't. Of course Abby has a little secret in that she is a vampire. She lives with an older male who procures her food in a variety of awful ways. The local murders arouse the suspicions of the local police thank goodness. Investigations are led by a policeman played by Elias Coteas who looks disconcertingly like Robert De Niro. So the film unfolds as we find out what happens to our two young friends. The acting is very good. Abby is beguiling and sympathetic, well, as much as a blood drinking twelve year old can be. Owen is heartbreaking as a lonely young boy longing for a connection with someone. The adults are admirable as is the gore. The CGI is a little unbelievable though, which detracts a bit from the whole atmosphere. All in all, a very well made horror movie. Let's just say that I had to take a deep breath before kissing my kids goodnight when I got home. LET ME IN: You might think twice before being too hospitable. 7/10

1 comment:

  1. I saw this movie on my recent trip to Australia...NOT one I'd usually choose and I admit I had to regularly hide my eyes BUT I thought it was well acted and I'm not sorry I saw it. I wish my imagination wasn't quite so active, but I'd recommend this film to anyone who enjoys a well made movie and a bit of a cardiac workout!! Made more special for me by my sister's company - she has a stronger stomach than me!! x

    ReplyDelete